SRE / Site Reliability Engineer III
- Category:Technical Specialist
- Required Education:High School Diploma/GED
- Position Type:Professional
- Employment Type:Full-Time
- Contract Type:Regular
- Req ID:129586BR
IBM Cloud IaaS provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. Our customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
IBM Cloud IaaS is currently searching for Site Reliability Engineers. The work days are Sunday thru Thursday OR Tuesday through Saturday. Our SRE Teams supports the systems that provide a best-in-class hosting platform. SREs are responsible for deploying, monitoring, and maintaining complex solutions to meet the needs of the business and our customers. We are seeking individuals with demonstrated initiative who take pride in their work.
As an SRE 3, you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Interfacing with customers on subject matters
- Managing proper customer expectations
- Day to day maintenance and upkeep of existing server fleet
- Update, test, and support software provisioning systems
- Work with internal customers to create and deploy solutions for new and existing services
- Configure and deploy systems to support new data center expansion
- Work with support and development teams to troubleshoot complex problems
- Participate in weekly on-call rotation and actively respond to escalations and alerts
Expectations of candidates applying for the SRE 3 role:
- Expertise in managing and operation of IT hardware, software, communications, and/or application solutions, and the resources required to plan for, develop, deliver, and support properly engineered IT services and products to meet the needs of a business.
- The scope of this job role includes preparation for new or changed services and maintenance of regulatory, legal, and professional standards, management of performance of systems and services in relation to their contribution to business performance, and management of bought-in services including, for example, public network, virtual private network, and outsourced services. Typical examples of the deliverables are service-level reporting, risk, and contingency planning. SREs who primarily apply their technical skills in an internal or external customer billable services and implementation environment.
- The employee focuses on individual/team/department/ operational objectives.
- Display professional knowledge related to incumbent's department or function.
- Stay engaged as an independent professional with proven ability to articulate and compare alternatives approaches.
- The ability to recognize problems related to project objectives.
- Show creativity and judgment applied to professional technical, or operational problems.
- Independently generate solutions, based on analytical skills & business knowledge.
- Challenge the validity of given procedures and processes to enhance and improve or develop complementary adjustments /solutions.
- Works on special projects, or leads small teams, or manages routine technical/ operational activities or departments (national or international).
- Provides advice in technical/operational domain of specialization.
- Generally controls own work priorities and methods requiring tradeoffs.
- Accountable for individual, team, or department results, and for the impact of the results on functional activities.
- May have budgetary responsibility.
- Contributes by supporting activities that are subject to business measurements, impact customer satisfaction, or impact immediate costs or expenses.
- Must have flexible shift availability, including nights and weekends.
- First Shift (Day), Second Shift (Afternoon), Third Shift (Night).
- Subject to Essential Operations staffing policy, requiring availability 24/7/365
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Minimum 6 years' experience in customer relations
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in systems administration
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in troubleshooting
- Minimum 6 years' experience in enterprise level datacenter infrastructure management
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.