At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.Your Role and Responsibilities
Start and end dates for this Internship are during Summer 2022 (3 months) at IBM Research.
This is an intern position for a User Experience Designer/Researcher with the IBM Research. This person will work with team members to conduct qualitative and quantitative user research, testing, wire-framing and prototyping.
At IBM Research we’re relentlessly curious about all the ways computing can change the world. We’re scientists, technologists, designers, and thinkers inventing what’s next and we’re currently obsessed with advancing the state of the art in AI, hybrid cloud, and quantum computing. The confluence of the technologies we’re building represent a step change in computing that will surpass anything we’ve seen before. Together, they can exponentially alter the speed and scale at which we can uncover solutions to complex problems
IBM’s Apps@Research team is seeking a UX Design intern to join our team in providing the IBM Research community with a great User Experience for our internal solutions. We drive excellence by successfully merging business and user goals, delivering intuitive user interfaces that increase adoption. This drives innovation, collaboration, business impact and scientific eminence at IBM Research. Our applications are instrumental to driving the Research business transformation: to be the organic growth engine for the IBM company.
In this role your responsibilities will include:
- Translate complex problems, scenarios and visions to user centric test-driven solutions, co-creating with the team and our clients
- Leverage creative and artistic design skills to bring solution and solution messaging to life for clients
- Conducting various kind of user research and user testing
Candidates must be willing to work in Yorktown Heights, NY, or Cambridge, MA.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Demonstrate a strong design portfolio for review (quality over quantity)
- Demonstrated User Interface and Visual design skills (Composition, typography, color theory)
- Demonstrated understanding of functional user centric design through iteration
- Strong communicator. (English: Fluent)
- Experience with brand guideline and brand design asset management
- Good understanding of design systems (Carbon, iOS, Material design etc.)
- Understanding of responsive design, prototyping, wire-framing, storyboarding and playbacks
- Understanding of design accessibility standards
- Ability to facilitate design workshops with stakeholders
- At least 6 months experience in interaction design (work or classroom)
- At least 6 months experience in analyzing client needs, requirements and expectations (work or classroom)
- At least 1 year experience in written, verbal and visual communications skills
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch, Mural etc.
Pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in design or a related field with an expected graduation date of either December 2022 or Spring/Summer 2023. We will request to see a portfolio of related work.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Major in Design, Psychology, Human Computer interaction or relevant field.